Rain is in the forecast but the sun is shining right now. We’ll see how the days goes.
Today, we’ve got Governor Rick Scott on Political Connections. The Governor was rolling up and down the state speaking to reporters about the state issues and on Friday threw everyone off balance by giving the green light to Florida Polytechnic, allowing it to become the 12 University in the state.
What I really want you to read is the Orlando Sentinel article criticizing Teresa Jacobs for suggesting private donations for the renovation of the Citrus Bowl. It’s a well written article.
I also passionately disagree with most of it and haven’t wrote a rebuttal in months, which means it’s really well written.
First let’s get the common ground out of the way.
- I didn’t like the Performing Arts Center either. But, if Jacobs hadn’t audited the books we’d really be on the hook for cost overruns.
- He was right about former columnist Mike Thomas’ track record for dissing sports. He destroyed the idea of bringing a Yankees farm club to the area.
The rest of the column is just… wrong.
- “A product of her environment?” Yes, Orange County elected a cautious leader. We did that on purpose. Someone who could move the region forward but, looks before she leaps.
- No vision? We had an All-Star Game here a couple of weeks back. Your right though, she did give some of the tickets away for the festivities to everyday people who wouldn’t be able to afford them otherwise
- The convention center is a completely different animal. Competition for hosting conventions are far less competitive. The Center hosts revenue generating events every week. The Citrus Bowl? 4 or 5?
- Weren’t those World Cup games back in 94′. We could build the perfect vision from the Soccer Gods themselves and we wouldn’t be a serious contender for another 12 years and Wrestlemania? That was only 4 years back and the Amway hosts several of those events every year. That revenue isn’t going anywhere.
- There private donations. Better than using more tax revenue that will take more cops off of the street and teachers out of the classroom.
Anyhow, it’s a great article and you should read it. That leads off our Sunday morning political headlines.
Orlando Sentinel: Mike Bianchi- Private donations for Citrus Bowl is ludicrous idea</
CF News 13: Gov. Rick Scott discusses state issues with Ybeth Bruzual on “Political Connections. at 130pm and 730pm
WKNG Local 6: (Video) ‘Flashpoint’ tackles health issues
WFTV 9 Eyewitness News: Trouble in threes: Scandals hamper Obama’s message