Tallahassee, Fla. – Governor Ron DeSantis announced the designation of Florida’s 2020 Census Statewide Complete Count Committee. The United States Census will be conducted from March to June 2020 and Florida’s Complete Count Committee will coordinate with the U.S. Census Bureau to ensure Floridians are accurately reflected in the federal count.
The Governor also announced his appointment of Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nuñez as Chair of the Complete Count Committee, in addition to the appointments of a diverse group of committee members representing local governments, business and community stakeholders. Staffing and operations of the Complete Count Committee will be funded from existing state resources at no additional expense to Florida taxpayers.
“The United States Constitution mandates a national census count be conducted every 10 years and Florida will do its part to support the federal government’s efforts,” said Governor DeSantis. “Florida’s Complete Count Committee will coordinate with the U.S. Census Bureau, local governments and stakeholders across Florida to fulfill this important duty. I have appointed Lieutenant Governor Jeanette Nuñez to lead a group of diverse committee members from across the state to help facilitate a complete and accurate count.”
The 2020 Census count is mandated by the United States Constitution and is conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau. Complete count committees are composed of organizations that represent the many cross-sections of society. These organizations offer valuable lines of communication to encourage census participation within their respective constituencies.
“I would like to thank Governor DeSantis for appointing me to lead Florida’s Complete Count Committee, which will support the U.S. Census Bureau’s work to facilitate an accurate population count in Florida,” said Lieutenant Governor Nuñez. “The U.S. Census provides critical information to ensure our citizens are being well-served. As the third most populous state in the nation, with an incredibly diverse population, I look forward to working with leaders and stakeholders across the Sunshine State to ensure the voices of our residents are heard during this important process.”
Governor DeSantis appointed the following individuals to Florida’s 2020 Census Statewide Complete Count Committee:
- Jeanette Nuñez, Lieutenant Governor of Florida
- Charlotte Brand Audie, Florida Outdoor Advertising Association
- Esteban Bovo, Commissioner, Miami-Dade County
- Danny Burgess, Executive Director, Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Ginger Delegal, Florida Association of Counties
- Erik Dellenback, Faith and Community Based Liaison to the Governor
- Maj. Gen. James Eifert, Adjutant General of Florida
- Marsha Ellison, Chair, Florida State Conference of NAACP, Chair of Florida’s Civic Engagement Committee
- Fmr. Florida House Speaker Tom Feeney, Associated Industries of Florida
- Glen Gilzean, Urban League of Florida
- Bill Herrle, National Federation of Independent Business
- Jeff Johnson, AARP Florida
- Brian Lamb, Board of Governors, State University System
- Arturo Lopez, Coalition of Florida Farm Workers
- Andrea Messina, Florida School Board Association
- Jared Moskowitz, Director, Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Rick Owen, United Way
- Marina Pavlov, Florida Association of Nonprofit Organizations
- Paola Pierre, Haitian American Chamber of Commerce
- Maria Pinzon, Hispanic Services Council
- Leeanne Sacino, Florida Coalition to End Homelessness
- Rajat Sharma, President of the Asian American Federation of Florida
- Michael Sittig, Florida League of Cities
- Brad Swanson, Florida Internet and Television Association
- Mark Wilson, Florida Chamber of Commerce
For additional information on the 2020 United States Census, visit 2020census.gov.